Diseases rob our contentment of life. We should eat healthy foods to fight fat which results in many severe diseases, to lead a happy and disease free life as a sick person is a weight on the family, society and the nation. I would like to share about few foods which helps in fighting body and bad cholesterol levels in the body by assisting in maintaining a good health by protecting us from hypertension, artery blockage and cardiac ailments.
- Apples: We are aware that “an apple a day keeps the doctor away. The medicinal secrets of an apple are credited to the many chemicals in it that if it is taken regularly it helps in getting rid of the extra fat. Apples contain a fibre called Pectin which promotes digestive health by preventing constipation and helps in lowering cholesterol levels in the body.
- Garlic: This is one of the oldest known medicinal plants recognized for fighting against heart diseases and lowering blood pressure, lowering total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. When garlic cloves are chewed they release sulphur bearing compound Allicin which is responsible for garlic’s therapeutic qualities. It is suggested to get possible health profits of garlic; one must take one-fresh garlic clove daily.
- Oats: They are a good source of carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, unsaturated fats, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants which postpones hunger pangs and trigger feeling of fullness.
- Soya Beans: Soya Beans are a good source of protein, calcium, iron, vitamins and fibre. Soya is also low in saturated fats. It contains photochemical which helps in decreasing the bad LDL cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol. Isabgol used a laxative in soya plays an important role in lowering high cholesterol levels.
- Chillies: Chillies have capsaicin which through a series of reactions in the brain leads to the secretion of endorphins (body’s natural pain killer). Sweet red peppers have substances which increase heat production and oxygen consumption.
- Lemon: It is rich in vitamin C which does not permit the formation of blood clots and strengthens circulation by giving elasticity to artery walls.
- Indian gooseberry (Amla): In the raw form Amla reduces cholesterol levels and fights cholesterol induces atherosclerosis.
- Onion: The flavour in onion comes from oil present in them which have anti-bacterial properties. It has also been found that onions help in maintaining normal blood glucose levels.
A famous proverb says “we eat food to live but wrong food eats us”. It has been observed that when healthy people start eating junk food, they turn addicated to it and gain weight because of saturated fat and cholesterol. Obesity results in higher levels of cholesterol, heart diseases, hypertension and diabetes. To avoid it we must uphold everyone in our families particularly children to avoid junk food and instead eat equally delicious natural foods mentioned above, which not only are low in fat but also help reducing the extra fat in our body.